Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My Surly Fixed Gear Disc Brake Rack Bike

One of my many personal projects that usually evolve around some obscure part or idea that I need to get out of my brain and into the world. This one started out in an entirely different direction, but once I got my hands on that Civia Bamboo front rack it found a new purpose. A very special purpose.

So it is now my fixed gear, old man bike complete with front cargo rack and front disc brake. Brooks B-68 saddle with tool bag and some nice Portland Design Works Bamboo grips finish out the cockpit.

Velocity Chukkers dressed in Soma New Express 700x35 tires, laced to Surly hubs. And some Profile Race cranks with Volume Krull Spider, with Sun-Ringle ZuZu pedals with Holdfast straps.

The Civia Bamboo front rack with the Civia fork which is what inspired the front disc brake, 185mm Avid BB7. Some Nice swept back handlebars and upright stem to keep my old bones comfortable.

So now I can grab a case of beer or some groceries, maybe a big bag of dog food in comfort and style. And it is just fun to ride

4 comments:

  1. black & tan is a great color scheme. but i'm jealous of it you jerks with your comfy uprightness. when i ride with the the bf he's all dr. perfect posture on his banged-up robinhood.

    .and i like the addition of the gold bell, as well. i got my dad a khs manhattan green last spring and he was too punx for his bell. even with the oversized seat that still wasn't squishy enough for his old butt he made sure he took that jawn off asap. ...i don't know what that says about you and your bell, bryan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could make your Lager all comfy and upright if you wanted to Leigh, bullhorns are not your only option.
    The bell is fun, it says "Hi!" instead of car horns that say "Get the F*ck outta my way!" but your right, I'm probably not as punx as your dad.
    Hope are doing well, shoot me an email if you get a chance, I'd like to digitize those photos you took and put them on our flikr if you don't mind.
    thanks-b

    ReplyDelete
  3. That my friend is the bicycle of a gentleman. The only thing it is missing is some sort of cage to hold a fine bottle of Cognac. A bike like that only knows one destination, and that is to the Land of the Ladies. Bravo sir, Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well thank you sir! I have my flask holder on my Affinity, but maybe I should move it over to the Surly.

    ReplyDelete